Friday, September 27, 2013

Something funny... from the High School to my life...

Two funny stories...

This year, I have been working through Americorps at a local high school with their after school program. As students come in, we (myself and another student from USU) are there to help the students with whatever homework they need help with.

At the beginning of the week, I was sitting there helping on girl with her math, and the girl next to her got on her phone, and promptly began speaking in Spanish with her mom. It was a relatively short conversation... and she seemed to ask her mom how much money she made a year. I had to laugh, as I translated it out loud... I do not know Spanish by any formal means, but I have had a fair amount of exposure to it.. and I did take three years of French in high school...

As soon as the words came out of my mouth, the first girl working on her math next me, dropped her pencil in pure shock. "You know what she just said?!?!" Well yes... I think I do... "That is huge...!!" Huge?!? How could it be such a big deal, I wondered. "You will make it far with a Latino, man!" Ohhh... I smiled and teasingly said, "As long as he's rich, I don't mind."

This broke into a short question and answer period where they both proceeded to ask me if I was married, how many children I had, because I can have kids if I am not married...I think they talked more then I did through the conversation...

Now at this point (and not really at any point) I am not biased about the race of guys whom I have or will date.... and in Logan, Utah of all places, I can not afford to be picky... and money... well one can only hope, eh? But if not... I am sure I will be fine to, "come what may, and love it"...

The other interesting story from school this week, occurred in reading over a scholarship essay where the girl talked about overcoming Tichotillomania. (For those who do not know, it is where you pull your hair out...) and now I have studied so much I wonder I am developing that ... I would have never ever thought about that, if it was not for reading over and editing that essay.... So glad this week is almost over... one more test tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment